Hamilton firefighters handled about a dozen calls on Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 4, following a damaging thunderstorm that moved through town.
Fire Chief Phil Stevens said the bulk of the activity was between 3:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.
“There were many power lines and trees down, especially in the area of the high school, Cutler Road, Moulton Street and Sagamore Street,” Stevens said.
Among the most serious calls was a microwave fire at 8 Ortins Road, which occurred after a tree brought down power lines and the electrical service to the home.
A tree was hit by lightning in the back yard of 59 School St. and it popped the breaker on the invisible dog fence, according to Stevens.
Other calls for the Hamilton Fire Department during a six hour stretch of Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 4, included a carbon monoxide call on Alexander Way that was caused by a low battery after a power outage.
Firefighters also assisted with trees, limbs and wires down at several locations in town, including on Asbury Street near Cutler Elementary School, at 20 Cutler Road, Bay Road (Route 1A) near Rock Maple Avenue, at 100 Ortins Road and near 108 Moulton St. plus a call for wires on fire at 22 Porter Lane, according to Stevens.