Microwave Fire, Lightning Strike Among Many Storm-Related Fire Calls

Hamilton firefighters handled about a dozen calls on Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 4, following a damaging thunderstorm that moved through town.

Microwave Fire on Ortins Road

Fire Chief Phil Stevens said the bulk of the activity was between 3:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.

“There were many power lines and trees down, especially in the area of the high school, Cutler Road, Moulton Street and Sagamore Street,” Stevens said.

Among the most serious calls was a microwave fire at 8 Ortins Road, which occurred after a tree brought down power lines and the electrical service to the home.

A tree was hit by lightning in the back yard of 59 School St. and it popped the breaker on the invisible dog fence, according to Stevens.

Other calls for the Hamilton Fire Department during a six hour stretch of Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 4, included a carbon monoxide call on Alexander Way that was caused by a low battery after a power outage.

Firefighters also assisted with trees, limbs and wires down at several locations in town, including on Asbury Street near Cutler Elementary School, at 20 Cutler Road, Bay Road (Route 1A) near Rock Maple Avenue, at 100 Ortins Road and near 108 Moulton St. plus a call for wires on fire at 22 Porter Lane, according to Stevens.

Advertisements

One thought on “Microwave Fire, Lightning Strike Among Many Storm-Related Fire Calls

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s