A permitted fire got out of control on Sagamore Street on Friday afternoon, according to Fire Chief Philip Stevens.
The fire department responded to 175 Sagamore St. at about 2:30 p.m. In addition to Hamilton firefighters, Essex Engine 1 also helped battle the fire. Firefighters also got help from a Hamilton DPW backhoe. In addition to the brush, the fire also damaged a shed on the property, Stevens said.
Firefighters used water from the fire hydrant on Sagamore Street near Blueberry Lane, which may cause some brown water in the area.
Several hundred Hamilton residents lost power and Sagamore Street had to be shut down when a car crashed into a utility pole and snapped it on Halloween evening.
It happened at 8:56 p.m. near 89 Sagamore St. on Saturday, Oct. 31, according to Hamilton police Lt. Scott Janes. The crash was investigated by Hamilton police Sgt. Stephen Trepanier.
Andrew F. Zwart, 18, of 29 Harry Homans Dr. in Essex was charged by Hamilton police with operating under the influence of liquor, operating to endanger and marked lanes violation, according to a police report about the crash. He was released by the bail clerk on personal recognizance and is scheduled to be arraigned in Ipswich District Court on Monday, Nov. 2. Zwart was not injured, according to police.
At one point, more than 250 homes on the east side of Hamilton were without power because of the crash, according to National Grid, and a section of Sagamore Street had to be closed. The pole has been repaired and the road reopened by 8 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 1, Janes said.
There were more than a dozen homes that sold in Hamilton during August as part of an arms-length transaction, according to data from the Board of Assessors.
The home sales occurred on many roads in town, including two on Blueberry Lane and several lots on Sagamore Street.
The sale prices for the 17 sales ranged from $350,000 to $2.6 million.
See a complete list of the addresses and sale prices in August here.
Hamilton firefighters handled about a dozen calls on Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 4, following a damaging thunderstorm that moved through town.
Fire Chief Phil Stevens said the bulk of the activity was between 3:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.
“There were many power lines and trees down, especially in the area of the high school, Cutler Road, Moulton Street and Sagamore Street,” Stevens said.
Among the most serious calls was a microwave fire at 8 Ortins Road, which occurred after a tree brought down power lines and the electrical service to the home.
A tree was hit by lightning in the back yard of 59 School St. and it popped the breaker on the invisible dog fence, according to Stevens.
Other calls for the Hamilton Fire Department during a six hour stretch of Tuesday afternoon, Aug. 4, included a carbon monoxide call on Alexander Way that was caused by a low battery after a power outage.
Firefighters also assisted with trees, limbs and wires down at several locations in town, including on Asbury Street near Cutler Elementary School, at 20 Cutler Road, Bay Road (Route 1A) near Rock Maple Avenue, at 100 Ortins Road and near 108 Moulton St. plus a call for wires on fire at 22 Porter Lane, according to Stevens.